Dr. Jim Helmkamp achieved the prestigious Master in the Academy of General Dentistry (MAGD) which less than 1% of the dentists have accomplished. Dr. Jim is a native of Akron, Ohio, graduated from the University of Akron in 1979 and The Ohio State College of Dentistry in 1983. He spent 3 years in the U.S. Army Dental Corps where he received the Army Commendation Medal. Following his time in the military, Dr. Jim began practicing in Auburn in 1986, where he currently resides with his wife, Jill and daughter, Annie.
ABOUT MAGD (Master in the Academy of General Denistry)
- A minimum of 1,100 hours in approved continuing dental education
- At least 400 hours must be accrued in hands-on, clinical courses, under close supervision by highly qualified experts. Masters have been trained by the best to be leaders in the field.
- To qualify for Mastership, individuals must meet the rigorous requirements that insures they are exposed to current scientific and clinical approaches in all disciplines of dentistry.
Currently, Dr. Helmkamp is a member of the prestigious Crown Council, an alliance of leading edge dentists from around the world. Membership is by invitation only and it’s professionals are recognized as those who are “committed to promoting oral health and serving their communities.”
Dr. Helmkamp served as chairman of the national organization, Donated Dental Services, providing dentistry for the disadvantaged and continues to be involved bringing dentistry to the local, needy community. He has served locally as the dental advisor for Head Start and has been involved in Dentistry for the Handicapped.
Dr. Helmkamp has twice been president of his local dental society, served on the Executive council of the Maine Dental Association, and is currently serving on the Maine Dental Associations’ Insurance council.
Affiliations and Memberships
- Master in the Academy of General Dentistry
- Crown Council 2004
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- Maine Dental Association
- Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry
- Fellowship in the Academy of Dentistry International
- Donated Dental Services
- Androscoggin Valley Dental Society